Harvest Pumpkin Torte Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
|4||eggs, separated (4)|
|3/4 cup||sugar, divided (plus 1 tbsp) (190 mL)|
|1/2 cup||all purpose flour (125 mL)|
|1/3 cup||HERSHEY'S Cocoa (75 mL)|
|1/2 tsp||baking soda (2 mL)|
|1/4 tsp||salt (1 mL)|
|1/3 cup||water (75 mL)|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract (5 mL)||PUMPKIN FILLING (recipe follows)||CHOCOLATE GLAZE (recipe follows)||Sliced almonds (optional)|
- 1. Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch (39 x 27 x 2.5 cm) jelly roll pan with foil; generously grease foil.
2. Beat egg yolks in large bowl on medium speed 3 minutes; gradually add 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar, beating 2 additional minutes. Stir together flour, cocoa, 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar, baking soda and salt; add to egg yolk mixture alternately with water, beating on low speed just until batter is smooth. Stir in vanilla; set aside.
3. Beat egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture until well blended. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
4. Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto clean, slightly dampened towel. Carefully peel off foil. Cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, prepare PUMPKIN FILLING. Cut cake crosswise into four equal pieces. Place one piece on serving plate; spread about 3/4 cup (175 mL) filling over top. Repeat layering with remaining cake and filling, ending with cake layer. Spread CHOCOLATE GLAZE over top; garnish with almonds, if desired. Refrigerate until serving time. Refrigerate leftover torte.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
1 cup canned pumpkin 250 mL
1/4 cup all-purpose flour 50 mL
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened 75 mL
3 tbsp shortening 45 mL
1 tsp ground cinnamon 5 mL
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 1 mL
1-3/4 cups powdered sugar 425 mL
6. Combine pumpkin and flour in small saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils (mixture will be very thick). Remove from heat; set aside. Cool completely.
7. Beat butter and shortening in small bowl until creamy; add spices. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Slowly blend in pumpkin mixture. Refrigerate until mixture ready to use. Makes about 2-1/4 cups (550 mL) filling.
1 tbsp butter or margarine (15 mL)
2 tbsp HERSHEY'S Cocoa (30 mL)
1 tbsp water (15 mL)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (1 mL)
2/3 cup powdered sugar (150 mL)
Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; add cocoa and water. Cook, stiring constantly, until mixture thickens; do not boil. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating with whisk until smooth and thickened.