Gone to Heaven Chocolate Pie Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (150 mL)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch (75 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 4 egg yolks (4)
- 3 cups milk (750 mL)
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine, softened (30 mL)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (15 mL)
- 2 cups CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips, divided (500 mL)
- 1 pre-baked pie crust (9-inch/23 cm) (1)
- Sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping (optional)
- 1. Combine sugar with cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Whisk egg yolks with milk. Slowly whisk milk mixture into sugar mixture. Set saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to boil and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
2. Add 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) chocolate chips; stir until chips are melted and mixture is well combined. Pour chocolate mixture into baked pie crust; press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the chocolate filling. Cool to room temperature. Chill completely or until firm.
3. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream (if using) and remaining chocolate chips.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.