Glazed English Toffee Cake Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
|2||eggs, separated (2)|
|1 1/2 cups||granulated sugar, divided (375 mL)|
|1 1/4 cups||all-purpose flour (300 mL)|
|1/2 cup||HERSHEY'S Cocoa (125 mL)|
|3/4 tsp||baking soda (4 mL)|
|1/2 tsp||salt (2 mL)|
|1/2 cup||vegetable oil (125 mL)|
|1 cup||buttermilk or sour milk* (250 mL)|
|1 1/2 cups||frozen whipped topping, thawed (375 mL)|
|1 cup||CHIPITS SKOR Toffee Bits (250 mL)||Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)|
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch (23 cm) round baking pans.
2. In small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
3. Combine remaining 1 cup (250 mL) sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add oil, buttermilk and egg yolks; beat until smooth. Gently fold egg whites into batter. Pour into prepared pans.
4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Let cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Let cool completely.
5. Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread whipped topping over top. Sprinkle with half of the toffee bits. Top with other layer. Spoon CHOCOLATE GLAZE over top of cake, allowing glaze to drip down sides. Sprinkle with remaining toffee bits. Store covered in refrigerator.
Makes 10 servings.
CHOCOLATE GLAZE: In small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar and 1/4 cup (50 mL) HERSHEY'S Cocoa. Stir in 3 tbsp (45 mL) light cream and 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter or margarine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boil. Boil 1 minute. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Makes about 3/4 cup (175 mL).
*To sour milk: Use 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL).