Fresh Apple and Toffee Tart Recipe
Tart Granny Smith apples combine with SKOR Toffee Bits for a sweet dessert that doubles as a great coffee or tea companion.
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 22 Minutes
|6||large tart apples, such as Granny Smith (6)|
|1/4 cup||granulated sugar (50 mL)|
|2 tbsp||cornstarch or all-purpose flour (30 mL)|
|1/2 tsp||ground cinnamon (2 mL)|
|2||prepared pie shells, thawed if frozen (2)|
|1 1/3 cups||CHIPITS SKOR Toffee Bits, divided (325 mL)|
|2 tsp||granulated sugar (10 mL)||Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream (optional)|
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Peel and thinly slice the apples; toss with the granulated sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon.
2. Unroll (or remove the pie shells from their pans) onto an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle 1/3 cup (75 mL) toffee bits over each shell; press the bits lightly into the pastry.
3. Starting 2-inches (5 cm) from the edge of the crust, arrange the apple slices in an overlapping spiral towards the centre of the crust. Sprinkle an additional 1/3 cup (75 mL) toffee bits over the apples in each shell. Fold in the exposed edges of the shell over the apples. Sprinkle the pastry edges evenly with the sugar.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the crust is golden and the apples are tender. Cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream (if using).
Makes 2 tarts (8 servings each).
• Half the recipe to make one tart.