Espresso Cream Éclairs Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Advanced
- 1/2 cup butter (125 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (300 mL)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup HERSHEY’S CHIPITS INSPIRATIONS 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate Chunks (250 mL)
- 2 cups whipping cream (500 mL)
- 1/3 cup icing sugar (75 mL)
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder (15 mL)
- 1 tbsp vanilla (15 mL)
- Éclairs: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In large saucepan set over medium heat, bring 1 cup (250 mL) water, butter and salt to boil. Boil for 1 to 2 minutes or until butter has melted.
Remove from heat; add flour all at once. Return to low heat; stir for about 1 minute or until mixture comes together in a ball and a film coats the bottom of the pan.
Transfer mixture to electric stand mixer; mix for 1 to 3 minutes or until slightly cooled. (Mixture will feel warm to the touch but not hot.) Beat in eggs, one at a time, until mixture becomes smooth and elastic.
Using pastry bag fitted with 1/2- to 3/4-inch (1 to 2 cm) plain tip, pipe dough into 4- x 1-inch (10 x 2.5 cm) lengths onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C); bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and make small slit in sides; return to oven for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack and let cool completely. Split in half lengthwise.
Melt chocolate in heatproof bowl set over hot, not boiling, water. Dip éclair tops into chocolate to coat halfway; let excess drip off and place on tray to set.
Filling: Meanwhile, in bowl, whip cream with icing sugar until stiff peaks form. Dissolve instant espresso in vanilla and fold into cream. Pipe espresso cream into bottom of éclairs. Cap with chocolate-dipped tops.