Easy Chocolate Tiramisu Trifle Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 20 Minutes
|1 cup||milk (250 mL)|
|1/2 cup||icing sugar, divided (125 mL)|
|2||egg yolks (2)|
|1 cup||CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (250 mL)|
|2 cups||marscarpone cheese (500 mL)|
|1 1/2 cups||35% whipping cream (375 mL)|
|16 to 20||soft lady finger cookies (16 to 20)|
|1 cup||prepared espresso or strong coffee (250 mL)|
|2 tbsp||Hershey's Cocoa (approx.) (30 mL)|
- 1. Whisk the milk with half the sugar in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 90 seconds or until steaming. Whisk the egg yolks with some of the hot milk mixture; whisk the egg mixture back into the remaining milk mixture. Microwave on MEDIUM (50%) power, stirring once halfway through, for 2 minutes or until thickened.
2. Stir in the chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Cool slightly. Blend the chocolate mixture into the mascarpone cheese until well combined. Beat the whipping cream with the remaining sugar until stiff.
3. Pour coffee in a shallow dish and soak half the ladyfingers for 5 seconds or until saturated. Layer evenly into an 8-cup (2 L) trifle bowl. Spread evenly with half the chocolate mixture followed by half the whipped cream. Dust with a thin layer of cocoa. Repeat layers once. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving or up to 8 hours. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
• This trifle can also be prepared with the crisper, sugar-coated ladyfingers that are often used in classic tiramisu, just reduce the amount of time they soak in the coffee as they crumble more easily.
• Use a fine mesh sieve to dust the trifle with cocoa.
• Substitute CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips for the semi-sweet.