Easy Buttercrunch Toffee Recipe
Crunchy and nutty, this Buttercrunch Toffee looks fancy but is easy to make. Find a pretty tin and gift this treat to your favourite person.
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 10 Minutes
|1 cup||butter (250 mL)|
|1 cup||granulated sugar (250 mL)|
|1/4 cup||water (50 mL)|
|2 tbsp||corn syrup (30 mL)|
|1 1/2 cups||toasted unblanched almonds, coarsely chopped and divided (375 mL)|
|1/4 tsp||baking soda (1 mL)|
|2 cups||CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (350 g)|
- 1. Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan set over medium. Stir in the sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
2. Continue to cook, without stirring, for 10 minutes or until the toffee reaches 300°F (150°C) on a candy thermometer (the hard crack stage) and is amber in colour. (If the toffee bubbles up, adjust the temperature as needed.)
3. Meanwhile, measure out 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the almonds and chop finely for the garnish; set aside. Line a 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking pan with parchment paper.
4. Remove the toffee from the heat; immediately stir in the baking soda and coarsely chopped almonds. Quickly pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Spread the toffee out as evenly as possible.
5. Scatter the chocolate chips evenly over the hot toffee mixture. Let stand for 3 minutes; spread evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the finely chopped almonds evenly over the chocolate. Chill for 2 hours or until set. Break the candy into pieces and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 2 lb (1 kg) candy.
• When the toffee reaches the hard crack stage, a small amount dropped into cold water should form hard, brittle threads that break once cool.
• Toast the almonds on a baking sheet in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
• Sprinkle a little coarse sea salt over the chocolate along with the finely chopped almonds for a sweet and salty treat.