Easter Basket Cupcakes Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 15 Minutes
- 2 cups sugar (500 mL)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (425 mL)
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (175 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 cup milk (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (125 mL)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
- 1 cup boiling water (250 mL)
- 1 can creamy vanilla ready-to-spread frosting (16 oz.) (500 g)
- 3 3/4 cups sweetened coconut flakes, tinted* (925 mL)
- 33 TWIZZLERS Strawberry Twists (33)
- Assorted HERSHEY'S Easter Candies (JOLLY RANCHER Jolly Beans, HERSHEY’S EGGIES Milk Chocolate Eggs, HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates, WHOPPERS ROBIN EGGS Candy)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180° C). Line muffin cups (2-1/2�?/6 cm in diameter) with paper bake cups.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
3. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
4. To make Easter baskets, frost each cupcake with vanilla frosting. Immediately make "nest" on top of each cupcake with tinted coconut; place assorted candy in nests.
5. For handle, insert wooden pick in each end of strawberry twists; press down into each side of each cupcake, bending to form handle.**
Makes about 33 cupcakes.
* To tint coconut, combine several drops green food colouring with 3/4 tsp (4 mL) water; add to 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) coconut. Stir until evenly tinted. Repeat using blue, pink or yellow food colouring.
** Adults should supervise children when preparing this recipe. Remove wooden picks before serving.