Dark Chocolate Whiskey Cake Recipe
Happy hour, meet cake. This rich, dark chocolate cake gets amped up with a touch of whiskey.
- 1 cup HERSHEY’S CHIPITS INSPIRATIONS 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate Chunks, divided (250 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee, warm (375 mL)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup whiskey (60 mL)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 3/4 cup margarine (175 mL)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (250 mL)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar (150 mL)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 1 cup HERSHEY’S CHIPITS INSPIRATIONS 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate Chunks (250 mL)
- 1/3 cup milk (75 mL)
- 2 tbsp whiskey (30 mL)
- 1 tbsp corn syrup (15 mL)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
- 1/4 cup CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chunks (60 mL)
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans (60 mL)
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan with parchment paper or grease well; set aside. In saucepan set over hot, not boiling water, melt half of the chocolate. Stir in coffee, cocoa powder and whiskey until smooth. Let cool.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Using electric mixer, beat together margarine, and granulated and brown sugars. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until fluffy; beat in vanilla. Stir in chocolate mixture alternately with flour mixture, beginning and ending with chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining chocolate chunks. Scrape into pan, smoothing top; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
Glaze: In heatproof bowl set over gently simmering water, melt together chocolate, milk, whiskey, corn syrup and sugar until smooth. Let cool slightly; spread evenly over top of cake.
Topping: Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and pecans.