Cookies ‘N’ Crème “Naked” Cakes
SKILL LEVEL : Beginner
- 1 pkg HERSHEY’S EGGIES Cookies 'N’ Crème Candy, divided (220 g)
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa (75 mL)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted (125 mL)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (1 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (50 mL)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 6 tbsp buttermilk (90 mL)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (50 mL)
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted (500 mL)
- 2 tbsp milk (30 mL )
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate cookie crumbs (60 mL)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 6 muffin cups with paper liners; set aside.
2. Whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In separate bowl, beat together sugar and oil using electric mixer until well blended. Beat in egg; beat in vanilla.
3. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in 3 parts and buttermilk in 2 parts, starting and ending with flour mixture. Scrape down bowl as needed between additions. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, about two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted into centre. Let cool completely on rack.
4. Frosting: Beat butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in icing sugar, milk and salt on low speed until smooth. Increase speed to high; beat for 1 to 2 minutes or until frosting is light and fluffy.
5. Reserve 18 HERSHEY’S EGGIES Cookies 'N' Crème Candy for garnish; chop remaining HERSHEY’S EGGIES Cookies 'N' Crème Candy. Fold chopped HERSHEY’S EGGIES Cookies 'N' Crème Candy and cookie crumbs into frosting; transfer to piping bag fitted with round tip or resealable plastic bag with corner snipped.
6. Peel liners from each cupcake. Slice each cupcake in half horizontally. Pipe frosting on bottom half of each cupcake. Cap with top halves of cupcakes. Pipe remaining frosting on top, leaving side of cupcakes unfrosted for “naked” cakes. Garnish with reserved HERSHEY’S EGGIES Cookies 'N' Crème Candy. Makes 6 servings.
• If you don’t have buttermilk, add 2 tsp (10 mL) white vinegar or lemon juice to 5 tbsp (75 mL) plus 1 tsp (5 mL) milk. Let stand for 10 minutes before using.
• If frosting gets stiff, add additional milk.