Coffee Pecan Biscuit Swirls
|3 cups||all-purpose flour (750 mL)||1/4 cup||granulated sugar (50 mL)||1 tbsp||baking powder (15 mL)||1/2 tsp||each baking soda and salt (2 mL)||1/2 cup||cold butter (125 mL)||1 1/4 cups||buttermilk (300 mL)||FILLING:||1/2 cup||lightly packed brown sugar (125 mL)||1/4 cup||softened butter (50 mL)||1 tbsp||ground cinnamon (15 mL)||3/4 cup||CHIPITS® Coffee Flavoured Chips (175 mL)||1/2 cup||chopped toasted pecans (125 mL)||GLAZE:||1/4 cup||softened plain cream cheese (50 mL)||1/4 cup||softened butter (50 mL)||1 cup||icing sugar (250 mL)|
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Stir the flour with the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until well combined. Using the large holes on a box grater, grate the cold butter into the flour mixture. Stir until evenly distributed. Stir in the buttermilk with a fork until a ragged dough forms.
2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough 6 to 8 times or until it comes together. Roll into a large rectangle, about 1/3-inch (8 mm) thick.
3. Filling: Blend the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon to form a paste. Spread the sugar mixture evenly over the dough. Sprinkle the CHIPITS® Coffee Flavoured Chips and pecans over top. Starting at the wide end, roll the dough into a log.
4. Cut the log into 12 equal rounds. Arrange, cut-side-up, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until biscuits are puffed and golden. Cool slightly.
5. Glaze: Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese and butter until combined. Beat in the icing sugar until smooth. Spread or pipe over the warm swirls.
Makes 12 swirls.
• If you don't have buttermilk, substitute 1 cup plus 3 tbsp (295 mL) regular milk and add 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice or white vinegar.
• Substitute Chipits Milk or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips for the Coffee Chips.
• To simplify morning preparation, blend the dry mixture with the butter and hold in the refrigerator overnight. Add the buttermilk and proceed with the remaining steps.
• Replace the pecans with chopped toasted walnuts or dried cranberries.