Coconut Cake Nests Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 33 Minutes
|1/2 cup||butter or margarine, softened (1 stick) (125 mL)|
|1/2 cup||shortening (125 mL)|
|2 cups||sugar (500 mL)|
|5||eggs, separated (5)|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract (5 mL)|
|2 cups||all-purpose flour (500 mL)|
|1 tsp||baking soda (5 mL)|
|1/4 tsp||salt (1 mL)|
|1 cup||buttermilk or sour milk* (250 mL)|
|1 cup||sweetened coconut flakes, tinted** (250 mL)|
|1/2 cup||chopped pecans (125 mL)||Vanilla Frosting (ready-to-spread or your favorite recipe)||HERSHEY EGGIES Candy|
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180° C). Grease and flour twelve 4-inch (10 cm) fluted tube pans.
2. Beat butter, shortening, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla until creamy. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended. Stir in coconut and pecans.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake centers comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
5. Prepare tinted coconut and Vanilla Frosting.
6. Frost cake tops with vanilla frosting; sprinkle frosting with tinted coconut. Fill "nest" with 3 candy pieces that are the same color.
Makes 12 nests.
• To sour milk: Use 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL).
• To tint coconut, combine 1/2 tsp (2 mL) water and few drops of food colouring in a small bowl or small jar with cover or re-sealable plastic food storage bag. Add 1 cup (250 mL) sweetened coconut flakes. Toss with fork or shake closed jar or plastic bag until coconut is evenly coated; store in airtight container.