Classic HERSHEY Bar Cake Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened (2 sticks) (500 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (300 mL)
- 4 eggs (4)
- 6 HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Bars, melted (45 g each)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (1 mL)
- Dash salt (dash)
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk* (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Chocolate Syrup (125 mL)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (250 mL)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Additional HERSHEY'S Chocolate Syrup (optional)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour 10-inch (25 cm) tube pan or 12-cup (3 L) fluted tube pan.
2. Beat butter in large bowl until creamy; gradually add granulated sugar, beating on medium speed of mixer until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate; beat until blended.
3. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add to chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until blended. Add syrup and vanilla; beat until blended. Stir in pecans. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Sift powdered sugar over top and drizzle with chocolate syrup, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon (15 mL) white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL).