Classic Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 20 Minutes
- 1 prepared pie crust or Graham cracker crust 9-inch (23 cm) (1)
- 3 cups milk, divided (750 mL)
- 3 egg yolks (3)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (250 mL)
- 2/3 cup cornstarch (150 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1/2 cup CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips (125 mL)
- 2 tbsp butter (30 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (7 mL)
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- 1. Prepare the pie crust according to package directions (if necessary); cool completely.
2. Stir the sugar with the cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan; whisk in the milk. Set over medium heat; cook, stirring, until the mixture becomes extremely thick. Whisk some of the hot milk mixture with the egg yolks. Whisk the egg mixture back into the hot milk mixture.
3. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute or until smooth and well combined; remove from the heat. Place the chocolate chips, butter and vanilla in a bowl. Pour the hot pudding mixture over the chocolate and whisk until smooth and well combined.
4. Pour the filling into the prepared crust; smooth the top. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pie. Chill until completely set (about 4 to 6 hours). Garnish with whipped cream (if using).
Makes 8 to 10 servings.