Cinnamon Coffee Crumble Cake
|1/2 cup||lightly packed brown sugar (125 mL)|
|1/4 cup||each rolled oats and all-purpose flour (50 mL)|
|2 tsp||ground cinnamon (10 mL)|
|1 cup||CHIPITS® Coffee Flavoured Chips (250 mL)|
|3/4 cup||granulated sugar (175 mL)|
|1/2 cup||softened butter (125 mL)|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract (5 mL)|
|1 1/3 cups||all-purpose flour (325 mL)|
|1 1/2 tsp||baking powder (7 mL)|
|1/4 tsp||each baking soda and salt (1 mL)|
|1/2 cup||buttermilk (125 mL)|
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) springform pan.
2. Toss the brown sugar with the oats, flour and cinnamon. Measure out 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the mixture; set aside. Stir the coffee chips into the remaining crumb mixture.
3. Cake: Beat the granulated sugar with the butter and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. On low speed, alternately beat in the flour mixture and buttermilk, in two additions, until batter is smooth.
4. Spread the batter in the pan. Sprinkle the coffee chip crumb mixture evenly over the batter. Swirl with a knife until partially incorporated. Smooth the top; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 50 minutes or until a tester inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes before removing the ring. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 12 servings.
• If you don't have buttermilk, substitute 1/2 cup (125 mL) regular milk and add 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice or white vinegar.
• Drizzle with a simple glaze of 1/4 cup (50 mL) icing sugar blended with 1 tsp (5 mL) milk until smooth and pourable.