Chocolate-Peanut Butter Coated Apples Recipe
Cocoa and peanut butter combine to bring a new twist on the classic candy apples, and the result is irresistible!
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 5 Minutes
- 10 wooden popsicle sticks (10)
- 10 medium apples, stems removed (10)
- 1 2/3 cups CHIPITS REESE Peanut Butter Chips (400 mL)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (approx.) (125 mL)
- 2/3 cup icing sugar (150 mL)
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (150 mL)
- chopped CHIPITS REESE Peanut Butter Chips or sweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 1. Insert a wooden stick into each washed and dried apple. Cover a tray with wax paper.
2. Stir together the peanut butter chips and oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on MEDIUM for 1 1/2 minutes or until chips are softened. Stir until melted. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM (50%) an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred.
3. Stir together the sugar and cocoa; gradually add to the melted chip mixture, stirring until smooth. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 1 minute or until very warm.
4. Dip the apples in the mixture; twirl to allow excess coating to drip back into the bowl. (If coating becomes too thick, return to microwave for a few seconds or add additional oil, 1 tsp (5 mL) at a time.) Roll the lower half of each coated apple in chopped chips or coconut (if using). Transfer to the prepared tray and let stand until set.
Makes 10 apples.
• If not serving right away, store apples, covered, in the refrigerator.