Chocolate Turnovers Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 20 Minutes
CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided(500 mL)
|1 tsp||ground cinnamon (5 mL)|
|1 pkg||frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed (500 g)|
|1||egg, beaten (1)|
|2 tsp||water (10 mL)|
|1 1/2 tsp||shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil) (7 mL)|
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Stir 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chocolate chips with cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry into a 12-inch (30 cm) square. Cut into nine 4-inch (10 cm) squares. Place a heaping spoonful of the chip mixture into the centre of each square.
3. Beat the egg with the water and lightly brush the edges of each square. Fold in half diagonally; seal the edges. Transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet; repeat with remaining ingredients. Brush the top of each turnover with remaining egg wash.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Transfer to a rack; cool completely.
5. Place the remaining chips and shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) for 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, heat for an additional 10 seconds and stir at each interval. Repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth. Drizzle chocolate over each turnover.
Makes 18 turnovers.