Chocolate Truffles Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 30 Minutes
- 3/4 cup butter (175 mL)
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (175 mL)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (do not use evaporated milk) (398 mL)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (15 mL)
- Icing sugar
- 1. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan set over low heat. Add cocoa; stir until smooth. Add milk; increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes or until mixture has a pudding-like consistency and is smooth and glossy.
2. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cover and chill for 3 to 4 hours or until firm. Shape into 1 1/4-inch (3 cm) balls; roll in additional cocoa powder or icing sugar. Chill for 1 to 2 hours or until firm. Store, covered, in refrigerator.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen truffles.
� Nut Truffles: Add 3/4 cup (175 mL) coarsely chopped toasted pecans to chocolate mixture when adding vanilla. (To toast pecans: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Spread 3/4 cup (175 mL) pecan halves or pieces in a single layer on an ungreased rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until light golden and fragrant. Cool before chopping.
� Rum Nut Truffles: Decrease vanilla to 1 tsp (5 mL). Stir in 2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 mL) rum or 1 tsp (5 mL) rum extract and nuts.
� Espresso Truffles: Decrease vanilla to 1 tsp (5 mL) and blend with 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) powdered instant espresso or instant coffee before adding. Roll balls in cocoa or chopped nuts.
� Nut-Coated Truffles: Roll balls in chopped nuts.