Chocolate Salted Caramel Layer Cake Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Advanced
- 2 cups packed brown sugar (500 mL)
- 3/4 cup Lactantia® Salted Butter, softened (175 mL)
- 3 large Naturegg™ Omega 3 Eggs (3)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL )
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (175 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL )
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL )
- 1 cup buttermilk (250 mL )
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules (30 mL )
- 3/4 cup hot water (175 mL )
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (175 mL )
- 1/3 cup water (75 mL)
- 3/4 cup 35% whipping cream (175 mL)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL )
- 2 cups Lactantia® Salted Butter (500 mL )
- 3 cups icing sugar (or more if needed) (750 mL )
- 1 cup CHIPITS SKOR Toffee Bits (approx.) (250 mL )
- 1/2 tsp gourmet salt such as fleur de sel (2 mL )
- 1. Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line two 9-inch (23-cm) round cake pans with Reynolds® Parchment Paper.
2. Beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time; add vanilla. Stir flour with cocoa, baking soda and salt; beat into butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk, in two additions. Dissolve coffee in hot water; gradually beat into batter just until smooth. Divide batter equally between cake pans. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes; turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
3. Frosting: Meanwhile, mound granulated sugar in the centre of a medium, heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Add water; cover and bring to a boil (do not stir). Uncover and cook, swirling pan often, until sugar turns a deep amber colour. Remove from heat. Immediately, wearing oven mitts, slowly whisk in whipping cream until smooth; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
4. Beat butter until fluffy; beat in all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) prepared caramel. On low speed, gradually add icing sugar; increase speed and beat until frosting is smooth and fluffy. Frost between layers and all over cake; swirl top decoratively. Gently press toffee bits evenly onto sides of cake. Drizzle top with remaining caramel. Sprinkle with salt to garnish.
Makes 12 servings.