Chocolate Raspberry Flower Cupcakes Recipe
Real flowers are nice but these Chocolate Raspberry Flower Cupcakes are beautiful AND delicious.
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 20 Minutes
- 2 cups all purpose flour (500 mL)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (500 mL)
- 1 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (250 mL)
- 2 tsp each baking soda and instant espresso (10 mL)
- 1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1 cup water (250 mL)
- 1 cup buttermilk (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (125 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
- 2 cups CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided (350 g)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (175 mL)
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam (125 mL)
- 5 cups icing sugar (1.25 L)
- Fresh raspberries (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners. Whisk the flour with the granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, espresso, baking powder and salt until well combined.
2. In a second bowl, whisk the water with the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Stir the water mixture into the flour mixture, just until combined. Fold in 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chocolate chips.
3. Divide batter between the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt remaining chips in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water. Transfer the chocolate to a zip-top freezer bag. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag. Pipe the chocolate into flowers or other decorative shapes. Chill until set.
5. Beat the butter with the raspberry jam until smooth. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until very fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes. Garnish each cupcake with a chocolate flower and fresh raspberries (if using).
Makes 24 cupcakes.
• To guide you in making shapes, draw outlines in pencil on the parchment paper and turn it over before piping the chocolate.
• The chocolate flowers are delicate, so make a few extra in case one breaks when removing it from the parchment paper.