Chocolate Peanut Butter Easter Eggs Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 25 Minutes
|1 3/4 cups||CHIPITS REESE Peanut Butter Chips, divided (300 g)|
|3 tbsp||butter (45 mL)|
|1/2 cup||plain, brick-style cream cheese, softened (125 mL)|
|2 cups||icing sugar (500 mL)|
|2 cups||CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (350 g)|
|4 tsp||vegetable shortening, divided (20 mL)|
- 1. Melt 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) peanut butter chips and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Beat in cream cheese until combined. Gradually beat in icing sugar until smooth. Chill for 15 minutes or until firm enough to shape.
2. Form rounded 1 tbsp (15 mL) portions of the mixture into oblong egg shapes. Arrange on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips with 3 tsp (15 mL) shortening a heatproof bowl set over simmering water. Repeat with remaining peanut butter chips and shortening in a separate bowl.
4. Use two forks to dip eggs into the melted chocolate to coat; gently tap the forks against the bowl to let the excess drip off. Return to the lined sheet. Drizzle with melted peanut butter chips. Chill for 15 minutes or until set.
Makes 2 dozen eggs.
• Store the eggs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
• Vegetable shortening assists in getting a glossy, firmly set coating on the eggs.
• For a trendy touch, sprinkle a little flaked sea salt on the eggs before they are set.