Chocolate Mocha Cream Custard Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 10 Minutes
- 2 2/3 cups whipping cream (650 mL)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (175 mL)
- 3/4 cup CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips (175 mL)
- 1 tsp powdered instant coffee (5 mL)
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten (5)
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Stir the whipping cream, sugar, chocolate chips and instant coffee in a heavy saucepan set over medium heat until steaming.
2. Remove from the heat; beat with whisk until mixture is smooth. Gradually add a small amount of the hot liquid into the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan mixture; blend well. Pour into eight 5 oz (150 mL) oven-proof cups. Place cups in a 9 x 13 (3 L) baking pan; set the pan onto the oven rack. Pour hot water into the pan until it reaches 1-inch (2.5 cm) up the sides. Loosely tent a piece of foil over the pan.
3. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Remove cups from the water to a rack; cool to room temperature. Chill completely. Garnish with whipped cream (if using) right before serving.
Makes 8 servings.