Chocolate Gingerbread Loaf Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 10 Minutes
- 2 cups CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided (350 g)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (425 mL)
- 1 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar (250 mL)
- 1 tsp each baking soda, ground cinnamon and ground ginger (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp each salt, ground nutmeg and cloves (2 mL)
- 1 cup each vegetable oil and buttermilk (250 mL)
- 4 eggs (4)
- Icing sugar (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch (1.5 L) loaf pans and line a thin strip of parchment down the length of each pan so that it overhangs the edges; set aside.
2. Melt 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the flour with the sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg and cloves. In a separate bowl, whisk the melted chocolate with the oil, buttermilk and eggs until smooth. Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture. Stir just until combined. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
4. Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; use the parchment to lift the loaves directly onto the rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar (if using). Makes 2 loaves.
• Reserve 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the unmelted chips to sprinkle over the batter in the pans before baking for a decorative top.
• Tightly wrap the completely cooled loaves and freeze for up to 1 month.
• Cube the cooled loaf and layer with whipped cream and sliced poached pears for an elegant holiday trifle.