Chocolate Fig Pecan Squares Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (50 mL)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (175 mL)
- 3 eggs (3)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (125 mL)
- 3/4 cup corn syrup (175 mL)
- 2 cups Mission or Calimyrna figs, stemmed & chopped (500 mL)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans (150 mL)
- 2/3 cup CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (150 mL)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease bottom of 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking pan.
2. BASE: In medium bowl, mix together flour and sugar. Cut in butter using pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (Mixture will be dry.) Press into pan. Bake 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
3. Sprinkle figs, pecans and semi-sweet chocolate chips over hot base.
4. In medium bowl, lightly beat eggs, sugar and corn syrup until well blended. Pour over top. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, until filling is firm around edges and slightly soft in centre. Let cool on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Makes 32 bars.