Chocolate Chip Trail Mix Snacking Bars Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 15 Minutes
|2||egg whites (2)|
|2/3 cup||smooth peanut butter (150 mL)|
|1/2 cup||honey (125 mL)|
|2 tbsp||non-hydrogenated margarine (30 mL)|
|3 cups||large flake rolled oats (750 mL)|
|2/3 cup||dried cranberries (150 mL)|
|1/4 cup||each green pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and wheat germ (50 mL)|
|2 tbsp||each flax seeds and sesame seeds (30 mL)|
|3/4 cup||CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips (175 mL)|
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Whisk the egg whites until frothy. Whisk in the peanut butter, honey and melted margarine until smooth.
2. Meanwhile, stir the oats with the dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, flax seeds and sesame seeds. Pour the egg white mixture over the oat mixture; stir until well coated. Stir in the chocolate chips until combined.
3. Press the mixture firmly into a parchment paper-lined, 9 x 13-inch (3 L) baking pan. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden around the edges. Let stand until set (about 1 hour) before cutting into bars.
Makes 16 bars.
• Natural peanut butter can be used in this recipe.
• Store the bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
• For a grab and go snack, wrap the bars individually in waxed paper before freezing.