Chocolate Carrot Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Beginner
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (375 mL)
- 1 tsp each baking powder and cinnamon (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp each allspice and nutmeg (1 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (175 mL)
- 1/2 cup CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, melted and cooled slightly (125 mL)
- 1/3 cup oil (75 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 1/4 cup milk (50 mL)
- 2 cups finely grated carrots (500 mL)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional (125 mL)
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened (125 g)
- 1/4 cup icing sugar (50 mL)
- 1/4 cup CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, melted and cooled slightly (50 mL)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla (2 mL)
- 1 tbsp whipping cream (35%) or milk (15 mL)
- CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1. Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line muffin pan with large paper cups or spray with non-stick spray.
2. In large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar. Beat in melted chocolate, oil and vanilla.
3. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice and nutmeg. Stir into egg mixture with milk.
4. Stir in carrots and nuts, if using. Spoon into prepared pan.
5. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Remove from muffin tins; let cool completely. Spread with Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE ICING:
In medium bowl, blend together cream cheese and icing sugar. Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla. Stir in cream until smooth and creamy.