Chocolate Buttercream Cherry Candies Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 90 Minutes
- CHOCOLATE CHIP DRIZZLE (Recipe to follow)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (1 mL)
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COATING (Recipe to follow)
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (50 mL)
- 1 to 2 tbsp milk (15-30 mL)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (500 mL)
- 48 maraschino cherries (48)
- 1/4 cup butter (50 mL)
- 1. Cover tray with wax paper. Lightly press cherries between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
2. Beat butter, powdered sugar, cocoa and 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk in small bowl until well blended; stir in vanilla and almond extract. If necessary, add remaining milk, one teaspoonful (5 mL) at a time, until mixture will hold together but is not wet.
3. Mold scant teaspoonful (5 mL) mixture around each cherry, covering completely; place on prepared tray. Cover; refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
4. Prepare WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COATING. Holding each cherry by stem, dip into coating. Place on tray; refrigerate until firm.
5. About 1 hour before serving, prepare CHOCOLATE CHIP DRIZZLE; with tines of fork, drizzle randomly over candies. Refrigerate until drizzle is firm. Store in refrigerator.
Makes about 4 dozen candies.
WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COATING: Place 2 cups (500 mL) CHIPITS White Chocolate Chips in small microwave-safe bowl; drizzle with 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. If mixture thickens while coating, microwave at MEDIUM for 15 seconds; stir until smooth.
CHOCOLATE CHIP DRIZZLE: Place 1/4 cup (50 mL) CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) shortening (do not use butter, margarine, oil or spreads) in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds to 1 minute; stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.