Chocolate and Orange Meltaways Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 20 Minutes
- 2 cups CHIPITS White Chocolate Chips, divided (500 mL)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (do not use margarine) (125 mL)
- 1/3 cup 35% whipping cream (75 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp orange extract (7 mL)
- Chocolate Coating:
- 1 1/3 cups CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (325 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil), divided (7 mL)
- 1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with wax paper. Measure out 2 tbsp (30 mL) white chocolate chips; set aside.
2. Combine butter and whipping cream in medium saucepan set over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately stir in remaining white chips; whisk until smooth. Stir in orange extract.
3. Chill for about 2 hours or until firm enough to handle. Scoop and shape into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls; arrange on prepared baking sheet. Chill for about 1 1/2 hours or until firm.
4. Chocolate Coating: Place semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 tsp (5 mL) shortening in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) for 2 minutes; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth when stirred; cool slightly. (If chocolate is too hot, it will not coat white chocolate balls.)
5. Place one white chocolate ball onto a fork and dip into coating, covering completely and allowing excess to drip off. Place onto prepared tray. Repeat with remaining white chocolate balls and chocolate coating. Chill for about 1 hour or until coating is set.
6. Place reserved white chocolate chips and remaining shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 10 seconds or until mixture is smooth when stirred. With fork, lightly drizzle over coated candies; chill until set, about 20 minutes. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Makes about 2 dozen pieces.