Chocolate Almond Filled Chocolate Sugar Cookies Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Beginner
- 2/3 cup butter (150 mL)
- 1 cup sugar (250 mL)
- 1 egg (1)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (7 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (300 mL)
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (125 mL)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk* (75 mL)
- 1/3 cup almond slices (75 mL)
- 1 cup REESE Spreads (250 mL)
- Additional sugar
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Add egg and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add alternately with buttermilk to butter mixture. Drop by rounded teaspoons about 2 inches (5 cm) apart onto prepared cookie sheet. Lightly press several almond slices on top of half of the cookies.
3. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until cookie springs back when touched lightly in center. Place cookie sheet on wire rack; sprinkle cookie tops with additional sugar, if desired. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Spread about 2 tsp (10 mL) peanut butter chocolate spread onto flat side of one plain cookie. Place flat side of almond topped cookie on top making a sandwich.
Makes about 20 filled cookies.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tsp (5 mL) white vinegar plus milk to equal 1/3 cup (75 mL).
Variation: Stir 1/4 cup (50 mL) coarsely chopped toasted almond slices into REESE Spreads.