Choco-Berry Bavarian Cream
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
|1 pkg (10 oz)||frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed (284 mL)|
|2 envelopes||unflavored gelatin (2)|
|1/2 cup||granulated sugar (125 mL)|
|1 cup||CHIPITS� Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips (250 mL)|
|2 1/4 cups||milk, divided (550 mL)|
|1 tsp||vanilla (5 mL)||Fresh strawberries for garnish (optional)|
|1 cup||cold whipping cream (250 mL)||STRAWBERRY CREAM (recipe follows)|
- 1. Lightly oil 5- or 6- cup (1.25 to 1.5 L) mold; set aside.
2. Drain strawberries; refrigerate drained strawberries for making Strawberry Cream. Add water to syrup to equal 3/4 cup (175 mL). Sprinkle gelatin over liquid; set aside.
3. In medium saucepan, stir together sugar, mini chocolate chips and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and very hot. Add gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved.
4. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) milk and vanilla. Pour into large bowl; refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to set and mounds when dropped from spoon.
5. Beat whipping cream until stiff; fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into
prepared mold; refrigerate until firm. Unmold; garnish with STRAWBERRY CREAM and fresh strawberries, if desired.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Mash or purée reserved strawberries from above to equal 1/2 cup (125 mL). Beat 1 cup (250 mL) cold whipping cream and 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL) until stiff. Fold in strawberry purée and 2 to 3 drops red food colouring.
Makes about 2 cups (500 mL) topping.