CHIPITS Sugar Cakes
SKILL LEVEL : Beginner
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened (150 mL)
- 1 1/2 packed light brown sugar (375 mL)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (250 mL)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (1 L plus 125 mL)
- 2 tsp baking soda (10 mL)
- 1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk* (250 mL)
- 1 3/4 cups HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips (300 g)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans (500 mL)
- Vanilla frosting (optional)
- HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips, colored sugars or sprinkles (optional)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
2. Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well blended in large mixer bowl. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until creamy. Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in small chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by level 1/4 cup (50 mL) or heaping tablespoon 2 inches (5 cm) apart onto prepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost with favorite vanilla frosting; garnish with small chocolate chips, colored sugars or sprinkles, if desired.
Makes about 3 dozen 3-1/2 inch (9 cm) sugar cookies.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon (15 mL) white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL).