1. Using electric beaters, a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or by hand, beat the butter for a minute and then add the icing sugar and beat until incorporated and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the vanilla, then add the flour, cornstarch and salt and beat on low speed until incorporated and then on medium-high speed (or more vigorously by hand) until the dough comes together. Add the toffee bits and stir in.
2. Shape the dough into 2 logs about 10 inches (25 cm) long (1 ½-inches/4 cm across) and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours until firm. Alternatively the dough can be frozen and thawed in the fridge up to 3 months later.
3. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C) and grease or line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
4. Unwrap and slice the dough into cookies 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) thick and arrange them on the baking trays leaving at least 1/2-inch (1 cm) between them. Bake for about 16 minutes, until the cookie barely start to show a little colour at the edges. Cool the cookies completely on the baking tray before removing.
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
Other festive options for this recipe: • For a Sea Salt & CHIPITS SKOR Toffee Bits Shortbread Slice Cookie, omit the salt from the dough recipe and instead sprinkle a little sea salt on each cookie before baking.
• For an Orange CHIPITS SKOR Toffee Bits Shortbread Slice, add 2 tsp (10 mL) of finely grated orange zest to the dough when you add the vanilla extract.
• For a festive finish to your cookies, roll the shortbread logs in coloured decorating sugars before slicing and baking.
Top 5 HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Cookie Recipes
There's nothing better than a warm cookie fresh from the oven. Can you guess our most popular cookie recipe?