CHIPITS REESE Nut Brittle Cookie Bars Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
|1 2/3 cups||all-purpose flour (400 mL)|
|2 tbsp||sugar (30 mL)|
|3/4 tsp||baking powder (4 mL)|
|1/2 cup||cold butter (125 mL)|
|1||egg (slightly beaten) (1)|
|1 2/3 cups||CHIPITS REESE Peanut Butter Chips (divided) (400 mL)|
|2 tbsp||evaporated milk (30 mL)|
- 1. Heat oven to 375°F (180°C). Stir together flour, sugar and baking powder in a medium bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Stir in egg and evaporated milk; mix until mixture holds together. Press evenly onto bottom and up sides of 15 1/2 x10 1/2-inch (39 x 27 x 2.5 cm) jelly-roll pan.
2. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden; cool in pan on a wire rack. Sprinkle 1 cup (250 mL) peanut butter chips over crust. Prepare NUT FILLING; carefully spoon over baked crust and chips. (Do not spread; mixture will spread during baking.)
3. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until filling is caramel-coloured. Remove from oven; sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup (150 mL) peanut butter chips over top. Cool completely in pan on wire rack; cut into bars.
Makes 4 dozen bars.
1-1/2 cups sugar (375 mL)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (125 mL)
1/2 cup evaporated milk (125 mL)
1/2 cup light corn syrup (125 mL)
1-1/2 cups sliced almonds (375 mL)
4. Combine sugar, butter, evaporated milk and corn syrup in a 3-quart (3 L) saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Stir in almonds.
5. Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until mixture reaches 240°F (120°C) on a candy thermometer or until mixture, when dropped into very cold water, forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water. (Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.) Remove from heat; use immediately.