CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Layered Cheesecake Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
|CHOCOLATE CRUMB CRUST (recipe follows)|
|3 pkgs (8 oz each)||cream cheese, softened (750 mL)|
|3/4 cup||sugar (175 mL)|
|1/4 cup||heavy cream (50 mL)|
|2 tsp||vanilla extract (10 mL)|
|1/4 tsp||salt (5 mL )|
|2 cups||CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips, divided (500 mL)|
|1/2 tsp||shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spreads or oil) (2 mL )|
- 1. Prepare CHOCOLATE CRUMB CRUST. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in eggs, heavy cream, vanilla and salt, beating until well blended; set aside.
3. Set aside 2 tbsp (30 mL) chocolate chips. Place remaining chips in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1-1/2 minutes; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted when stirred.
4. Gradually blend 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) cheesecake batter into melted chocolate. Spread 2 cups (500 mL) chocolate mixture in prepared crust.
5. Blend additional 2 cups (500 mL) plain cheesecake batter into remaining chocolate mixture; spread 2 cups (500 mL) of this mixture over first layer in springform pan. Stir remaining cheesecake batter into remaining chocolate mixture; spread over second layer.
6. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove from oven to wire rack. With knife, immediately loosen cake from side of pan. Cool to room temperature.
7. Place reserved chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred. Drizzle over top of cheesecake. Cover; refrigerate several hours until cold. Cover; refrigerate leftover cheesecake.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
CHOCOLATE CRUMB CRUST: Stir together 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) vanilla wafer crumbs (about 45 wafers), 1/2 cup (125 mL) powdered sugar and 1/4 cup (50 mL) HERSHEY'S Cocoa; stir in 1/4 cup (50 mL) (1/2 stick) melted butter or margarine. Press mixture onto bottom and 1-1/2 inches (4 cm) up sides of 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan.