CHIPITS Chocolate Marble Pumpkin Pie
A delicious twist on pumpkin pie, chocolate crust and swirls make this fall favourite extra special.
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 10 Minutes
|1 1/2 cups||chocolate wafer cookies (350 mL)|
|4 tbsp||butter (melted) (60 mL)|
|3/4 cup||sugar (175 mL)|
|1 1/4 tsp||pumpkin pie spice (6 mL)|
|1/2 tsp||salt (2 mL)|
|1 can (15 oz.)||canned pumpkin (425 g)|
|1 can (12 oz.)||evaporated milk (354 mL)|
|1/2 cup||HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (125 mL)|
|1/2 cup||sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping (optional) (125 mL)|
|1/4 cup||HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (optional) (60 mL)|
- 1. Pulse chocolate wafer cookies in a food processor until completely broken down. Transfer to large mixing bowl, add melted butter and mix until fully combined. Transfer mixture to a pie plate and press down with hands. Refrigerate crust while making filling.
2. Heat oven to 425°F (220°C). Stir together sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt; set aside. Beat eggs with fork or whisk in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually blend in evaporated milk.
3. Remove 1/2 cup (125 mL) pumpkin mixture; place in medium microwave-safe bowl. Set aside. Place pie shell on large baking sheet for stability and to prevent any spills from baking onto oven. Pour remaining mixture into pie crust.
4. Stir 1/2 cup (125 mL) chocolate chips into reserved pumpkin mixture. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Drop mixture by tablespoons onto pie filling. Swirl with knife or metal spatula for marbled effect.
5. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C). Continue baking 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with sweetened whipped cream and garnish with additional chocolate chips, if desired. Refrigerate leftover pie.
Makes 8 servings.
• Use an unbaked 9-inch (23 cm) (4 cup (1L) volume) pastry pie shell, homemade or purchased.
• To melt the chocolate chips using the double-boiler method, place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Heat, stirring, until melted and smooth.