Caramel Apple Cake Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
- 2/3 cup CHIPITS Butterscotch Chips (150 mL)
- 2 tbsp whipping cream (35%) (30 mL)
- 3 cups diced peeled Golden Delicious apples (750 mL)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (175 mL)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (250 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
- 2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (1 mL)
- CARAMEL TOPPING (recipe follows)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 9-inch (23 cm) springform or square baking pan.
2. In medium bowl in microwave, or in saucepan, melt 2/3 cup (150 mL) butterscotch chips and 2 tbsp (30 mL) cream. Stir vigorously until smooth. Stir in apples to coat well; set aside.
3. In large bowl with electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until creamy.
4. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix into creamed mixture. Stir in apple mixture. Spread in prepared pan.
5. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes. Remove outer band from springform; let cool to room temperature. Serve with CARAMEL TOPPING if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Caramel Topping: Melt 3/4 cup (175 mL) CHIPITS Butterscotch Chips and 3 tbsp (45 mL) whipping cream as in Step Two. Stir vigorously until smooth. Spoon warm over cake slices. May be re-heated.