Butterscotch Crème Brulée Recipe
CHIPITS Butterscotch Chips give this smooth and creamy Brulée a delicious buttery flavour. The perfect ending to any meal.
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 20 Minutes
- 1 3/4 cups CHIPITS Butterscotch Chips (300 g)
- 4 cups 35% whipping cream (1 L)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided (125 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- Pinch salt (Pinch)
- 7 egg yolks (7)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Place 9 (6 oz/180 mL) ramekins or custard cups in large roasting pan with 2-inch (5 cm) sides. Place butterscotch chips in large heatproof measuring cup.
2. Place cream, 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar, vanilla and salt in medium heavy saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat until cream is just steaming (do not boil). Pour cream mixture over butterscotch chips; let stand for several minutes then stir until chips are melted and mixture is well blended.
3. Beat egg yolks with electric mixer in medium mixing bowl for 3 minutes until pale yellow. With the mixer on the lowest speed, gradually stir butterscotch mixture into eggs. Strain custard into a large clean glass measure.
4. Divide mixture evenly between prepared cups. Place pan on the centre oven rack. Add hot tap water to pan until it is halfway up the sides of cups. Bake for 40 minutes or until the custards are just set, but still a little jiggly (custard will continue to cook as it stands).
5. Remove cups from the water bath to a rack. Cool to room temperature. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. (Let custards stand at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before adding the sugar layer.)
6. Sprinkle an equal portion of the remaining sugar evenly over custards. Brulée the surface using a propane torch or under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until the sugar is melted and lightly browned. (Do not let burn.) Let stand for 10 minutes before serving to set the top.
Makes 9 desserts.