Butterscotch Chocolate Oatmeal Squares Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided (250 mL)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar (500 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 2 tsp vanilla (10 mL)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
- 1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant) (750 mL)
- 1 can sweetended condensed milk (not evaporated) (300 mL)
- 1 3/4 cups CHIPITS Butterscotch Chips (300 g)
- 1 cup CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (250 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups sliced almonds, divided (300 mL)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180° C). Reserve 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the butter; set aside for filling.
2. In large bowl, beat remaining butter and brown sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until creamy.
3. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and oats. Mix into butter mixture.
4. In large saucepan, mix reserved 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, sweetened condensed milk, butterscotch chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Cook over low heat, stirring often until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the almonds.
5. Press 2/3 of oat mixture into parchment paper-lined 15-1/2 x 10-1/2-inch (39 x 27 cm) jelly roll pan. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over base. Crumble remaining oat mixture over filling. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) almonds on top.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until top is lightly brown. Let cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.
Makes about 40 squares.