Butterscotch Chip Snacking Cake with Oat Streusel Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 15 Minutes
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup CHIPITS Butterscotch Chips (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (50 mL)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (30 mL)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (5 mL)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (50 mL)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (550 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats (375 mL)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar (250 mL)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon (10 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce (500 mL)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (175 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups CHIPITS Butterscotch Chips (300 mL)
- 1. Streusel: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Toss oats with butterscotch chips, walnuts, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and melted butter until crumbly; set streusel mixture aside.
2. Cake: Stir flour with the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
3. Whisk applesauce with oil, eggs and vanilla; stir into the flour mixture, just until combined (do not over-mix). Fold in butterscotch chips. Scrape batter into a greased, 9 x 13-inch (3 L) baking dish. Sprinkle reserved streusel mixture evenly over batter.
4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool completely before slicing.
Makes 24 servings.
• Store cake, tightly covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days.