Brownie Pie à la Mode Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 30 Minutes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (125 mL)
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine (30 mL)
- 2 tbsp water (30 mL)
- 1 1/3 cups CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (325 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (150 mL)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (1 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional) (175 mL)
- Ice cream (any flavour)
- OPTIONAL FUDGE SAUCE:
- 1 cup CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (50 mL)
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine (15 mL)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate.
2. Combine sugar, butter and water in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until mixture comes to a boil; remove from heat. Immediately add chocolate chips; stir until melted. Add eggs; beat with spoon until well blended.
3. Combine flour with baking soda and salt; add to chocolate mixture, stirring until well blended. Stir in vanilla and nuts (if using); pour mixture into prepared pie plate.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until almost set (pie will not test done in centre.) Cool. Top pie with scoops of ice cream and drizzle with Fudge Sauce (see below if using).
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
For an even greater burst of chocolate taste, substitute HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Baking Chips with HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Chunks.
5. Optional Fudge Sauce: Combine chocolate chips with milk, sugar and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) for 60 to 90 seconds or until hot. Whisk until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chocolate sauce.
Conventional Method for Fudge Sauce: Combine chocolate chips with milk, sugar and butter in a saucepan set over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.