Brownie Caramel Pecan Bars Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Beginner
- 1/2 cup sugar (125 mL)
- 2 tbsp butter or Becel® margarine (30 mL)
- 2 tbsp water (30 mL)
- 2 cups CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (divided) (500 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (150 mL)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (1 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- CARAMEL TOPPING (recipe follows)
- 1 cup pecan pieces (250 mL)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan; grease and flour foil.
2. Combine sugar, butter and water in medium saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Remove from heat; immediately add 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips, stirring until melted. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; stir into chocolate mixture. Spread batter in prepared pan.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Meanwhile, prepare CARAMEL TOPPING. Remove brownies from oven; immediately and carefully spread with caramel topping. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips and pecans over topping; lightly press into topping. Cool completely in pan on wire rack, being careful not to distrub chips while soft. Lift out of pan; cut into bars.
Makes about 16 bars.
For an even greater burst of chocolate taste, substitute HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Baking Chips with HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Chunks.
Remove wrappers from 25 caramel candies. Combine 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter or Becel® margarine, caramels and 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk in medium microvave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. Microwave an additional 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, or until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Use immediately.
BECEL is a registered trade-mark of Unilever Canada.