Black Magic Cake Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 10 Minutes
- 2 cups granulated sugar (500 mL)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (425 mL)
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (175 mL)
- 2 tsp baking soda (10 mL)
- 1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 cup buttermilk or soured milk* (250 mL)
- 1 cup strong black coffee or 2 tsp (10 mL) powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (125 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- Frosting (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch (1.5 L) round cake pans or one 9 x 13-inch (3.5 L) baking pan.
2. Stir sugar with flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer, on medium speed, for 2 minutes; batter will be thin. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes for round pans (35 to 40 minutes for large pan) or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool, in pans, on a rack for 10 minutes. Turn cakes out and cool completely. Frost (if using) as desired.
*To sour milk: Use 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL).