Berry Loaf Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 10 Minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (250 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice (175 mL)
- 1 tsp finely grated orange peel (5 mL)
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening (30 mL)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (1)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries (250 mL)
- 1 cup CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips (250 mL)
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts (175 mL)
- Icing Sugar Glaze (see below)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan.
2. Stir flour with sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Add orange juice, orange peel, shortening and egg. Stir until well blended. Stir in cranberries, mini chocolate chips and nuts. Pour batter into loaf pan.
3. Bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Garnish with Icing Sugar Glaze (if using).
Makes 1 loaf.
• For the icing sugar glaze, beat 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar with 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk, 1 tsp (5 mL) softened butter and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract until smooth. (Thin glaze by stirring an additional 1 tsp (5 mL) milk at a time until it reaches preferred consistency.)
Makes about 1/2 cup (125 mL) glaze.