Almond Fudge Topped Shortbread Squares Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
- 1 cup butter or Becel® margarine, softened (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (125 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (300 mL)
- 2 cups CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (350 g)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) (300 mL)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (2 mL)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (125 mL)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking pan.
2. In large bowl, beat butter, icing sugar and salt until fluffy. Add flour; stir until well blended. With floured hands, press evenly into prepared pan.
3. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Shortly before end of baking time, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk in heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted. Remove from heat; stir in almond extract. Spread evenly over baked shortbread. Sprinkle with almonds; press down firmly. Let cool.
4. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm. Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.
Makes 24 to 36 bars.
BECEL is a registered trade-mark of Unilever Canada.