All-Chocolate Boston Cream Pie Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : AdvancedPREP TIME : 45 Minutes
|1 cup||all-purpose flour (250 mL)|
|1 cup||granulated sugar (250 mL)|
|1/3 cup||HERSHEY'S Cocoa (75 mL)|
|1/2 tsp||baking soda (2 mL)|
|6 tbsp||butter or margarine, softened (90 mL)|
|1 cup||milk (250 mL)|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract (5 mL)||CHOCOLATE FILLING:|
|1/2 cup||granulated sugar (125 mL)|
|1/4 cup||HERSHEY'S Cocoa (50 mL)|
|2 tbsp||cornstarch (30 mL)|
|1 1/2 cups||light cream (375 mL)|
|1 tbsp||butter (15 mL)|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract (5 mL)||SATINY CHOCOLATE GLAZE:|
|2 tbsp||water (30 mL)|
|1 tbsp||butter or margarine (15 mL)|
|1 tbsp||corn syrup (15 mL)|
|2 tbsp||HERSHEY'S Cocoa (30 mL)|
|3/4 cup||icing sugar (175 mL)|
|1/2 tsp||vanilla extract (2 mL)|
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour one 9-inch (1.5 L) round cake pan.
2. Stir flour with sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Add butter, milk, egg and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer, set to low speed, until all ingredients are moist. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean; cool for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan to a rack; cool completely.
4. Chocolate Filling: Stir sugar with cocoa and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in cream. Set saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface; cool completely.
5. Cut cake into two even layers. Place one layer on a serving plate and spread Chocolate Filling over the top. Top with remaining cake layer.
6. Satiny Chocolate Glaze: Combine water, butter and corn syrup in a small saucepan set over high heat; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately stir in cocoa. Whisk in icing sugar and vanilla until smooth; cool slightly.
7. Pour Satiny Chocolate Glaze over top the cake; allow some glaze to drizzle down the sides. Chill until ready to serve. Reserve any leftover cake in the refrigerator.
Makes 8 servings.