Signature Birthday Cake
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 30 Minutes
- 3/4 cup softened butter 175 mL
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 375 mL
- 2 eggs 2
- 1/2 cup sour cream 125 mL
- 1 tsp each instant coffee and vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 375 mL
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa 150 mL
- 3/4 tsp baking powder 4 mL
- 1/2 tsp each baking soda and salt 2 mL
- 3/4 cup boiling water 175 mL
- 1 2/3 cups HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Chips, divided 270 g
- 4 cups Fluffy Vanilla Frosting* or prepared frosting (approx.) 1 L
- Additional CHIPITS Milk Chocolate Chips for garnish
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease and line two 8-inch (1.3 L) round cake pans. Beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir sour cream with instant coffee and vanilla; beat into butter mixture. Sift flour with the cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl; add to butter mixture and mix on low until just combined.
2. On low speed, slowly pour boiling water into batter; mix until smooth (scraping bowl as needed). Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips. Divide evenly between prepared cake pans; smooth tops. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pans for 15 minutes; turn onto a rack to cool completely before frosting.
3. Place one cake layer onto a cake stand. Add a layer of frosting; sprinkle evenly with remaining chocolate chips. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides with remaining frosting. Garnish cake with the additional chocolate chips (as desired).
Makes 12 servings.
*Fluffy Vanilla Frosting:
Beat 1 cup (250 mL) softened butter in a large bowl until very smooth. Add 4 cups (1 L) icing sugar, 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream and 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract. Beat on low until combined; beat on high for 3 minutes or until very fluffy.
Makes 4 cups (1 L).