HERSHEY'S Red Velvet Cake
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 15 Minutes
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened 125 mL
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 375 mL
- 2 eggs 2
- 1 cup buttermilk or soured milk* 250 mL
- 2 tbsp red food colouring 30 mL
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 500 mL
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa 75 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 7 mL
- 1 tbsp white vinegar 15mL
- 2 cups prepared vanilla frosting (approx.) 500 mL
- HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch (3.5 L) baking pan.**
2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Stir buttermilk with food colouring. Stir flour with cocoa and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with buttermilk mixture, mixing well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and cool completely in pan. Frost and decorate as desired.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL).
**Cake can also be baked in two, greased and floured, 9-inch (1.5 L) round cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes in pan. Turn cakes out from pans and cool completely. Frost and decorate as desired. (Prepare or purchase extra frosting for layer cakes.)
• Heart Shapes: Use an open-topped heart-shaped cookie cutter, at least 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) deep and 3-inches (8 cm) wide to cut cake into 12 hearts. Frost and decorate as desired.