Chocolate Strawberry Festival Dessert
SKILL LEVEL : AdvancedPREP TIME : 20 Minutes
- 1 2/3 cups graham cracker crumbs 400 mL
- 1/2 cup melted butter 125 mL
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar 50 mL
- 3 cups 2% milk 750 mL
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL
- 1/2 cup cornstarch 125 mL
- 2 egg yolks, beaten 2
- 1 2/3 cups HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Chips, divided 270 g
- 2 tbsp butter 30 mL
- 1 1/2 cups 35% whipping cream 375 mL
- 1 tbsp icing sugar 15 mL
- 4 cups halved strawberries, about 1 lb (500 g) 1 L
- 1. Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Toss crumbs with butter and sugar until well combined; press into a 9 x 13-inch (3 L) baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden around edges; cool.
2. Filling: Meanwhile, whisk milk with sugar and cornstarch until smooth in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or until thickened. Whisk a little of the hot milk mixture into egg yolks; whisk back into hot milk mixture. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) chocolate chips and butter; stir until melted and smooth. Spread evenly onto the prepared crust. Chill for 1 hour or up to 1 day.
3. Topping: Beat cream with icing sugar until stiff peaks form; spread evenly over chocolate layer. Arrange strawberries over whipped cream. Melt remaining chocolate chips in a bowl set over simmering water. Drizzle over strawberries. Chill until set or up to 1 hour.
Makes 12 servings.
• Drizzle the top with melted CHIPITS White Chocolate Chips instead of milk chocolate chips for a dessert that is perfect for any celebration!