Chocolate Maple Pudding Cake
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 10 Minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 500 mL
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar 75 mL
- 4 tsp baking powder 20 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1 1/3 cup 2% milk 325 mL
- 1/2 cup melted butter 125 mL
- 1 tbsp maple or vanilla extract 15 mL
- 1 2/3 cups CHIPITS Milk Chocolate Chips 270 g
- 1 1/4 cups maple syrup 300 mL
- 1 cup boiling water 250 mL
- 2 tbsp butter 30 mL
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish.
2. Stir the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the milk, melted butter and maple extract, just until evenly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed. Spread the batter into the baking dish.
3. Syrup: Whisk the maple syrup with the water and butter. Pour the syrup carefully and evenly over the top of the batter.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake layer is golden around the edges and firm to the touch. Cool for 10 minutes. Slice or scoop into serving bowls. Serve with maple whipped cream (see tip below) or ice cream.
Makes 12 servings.
• Maple Whipped Cream: Beat 3/4 cup (175 mL) 35% whipping cream with 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup until very stiff. Serve with the warm pudding cake.
• For individual servings, butter twelve 5 oz (150 mL) ramekins or custard cups and arrange on a foil-lined baking sheet. Divide the batter and syrup equally between the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes; run a knife around the edges and turn out onto plates.