Chocolate and Caramelized Banana Empanadas
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
- 1 tbsp Salted Butter 15 mL
- 1 tbsp Corn Syrup 15 mL
- 1 large ripe banana, chopped 1
- 4 Deep Dish Pie Shells, thawed 4
- 1 1/4 cups HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Chips, divided 300 mL
- 1/3 cup toasted walnut halves, finely chopped 75 mL
- 1 large Egg, beaten 1
- 2 tbsp 35% whipping cream 30 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a large baking sheet with Reynolds® Parchment Paper. Melt butter and corn syrup in a medium, non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Add banana; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; mash gently to break up banana. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips and walnuts.
2. Transfer pie shells from their foil plates to a lightly floured surface. Use a 3-inch (8-cm) cookie cutter to create 8 rounds from each shell. Arrange rounds on baking sheet. Centre an equal portion of banana mixture on each round, leaving a 1/2-inch (1-cm) border. Whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Brush edges with egg wash. Fold over to enclose filling and crimp with a fork to seal. Brush tops with remaining egg wash.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown; cool slightly. Meanwhile, melt remaining chocolate chips with cream in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water. Drizzle over empanadas. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 32 empanadas.
• The empanadas can be baked ahead and stored (without the chocolate garnish) in the freezer. For the best results, before serving, first warm them gently in the oven at a low temperature, then drizzle with the melted chocolate.